Although coverage is optional, it is strongly
recommended by Diocesan Administration that all parishes have this type of coverage for their employees. It should be noted that when coverage is offered, it must include all employees (except for domestic employees working 24 hours or less – see item 2).
As a WSIB covered place of work, you automatically receive:
Two categories of individuals are identified for our purpose:
- No fault insurance protecting you and your parish from potential lawsuits filed by employees resulting from workplace injury or illness.
- Injury prevention programs designed specifically for your workplace. Comprehensive disability management benefits for your employees at very competitive rates.
- Dedicated service teams with specific industry experience to serve you and your employees.
- Regular Employees (Rate Group 981):
This comprises the clergy, caretakers, groundskeepers and administrative staff, etc. As a religious organization, a parish has the option to either cover or not cover its regular employees under Workplace Safety and Insurance (formerly known as Workers’ Compensation). If a parish chooses to cover its employees, all employees must be covered, regardless of the number of hours they work. A Religious Organization is classified under rate group 981. The rates for this group in 2014 are established at $0.79 per $100.00
of gross payroll.
Examples for Annual Rates
PASTOR - $50,136.00 (annual salary, room & food) / $100.00 X 0.79 = $396.07 per year
LAY EMPLOYEE - $35,000 (annual salary) / $100.00 X 0.79 = $276.50 per year
MEMO – WSIB
- Domestic Employees (Rate Group 944):
This group consists of those who cook and do housekeeping chores in the pastor’s residence. Domestic employees cannot be part of the rate group 981. The rules are quite different for them. There are no options as to coverage for domestic employees. The specific rules are as follows:
- If the domestic employee works 24 hours or less on average, the parish cannot purchase coverage for that employee (a domestic employee could purchase his/her own coverage individually, if so desired, by contacting the WSIB at 1-800-387-0750).
- If the domestic employee works more than 24 hours per week on average, the parish must purchase coverage for that employee. Domestic employees are covered under rate group 944. The rate for their group in year 2014 is set at $3.26 per $100.00 of gross payroll.
Example for Annual Rate
DOMESTIC EMPLOYEE - $20,000 (annual salary) / $100.00 X 3.26 = $652.00 per year
To obtain coverage under WSIB, you can use one of two methods:
- Online by accessing the following web page: www.wsib.on.ca
- By phone, inquiries can be directed to 1-800-387-0750; a WSIB account representative will assist you with the process.
Should you have any questions regarding the contents of this memo, please do not hesitate to contact me by e-mail at clegault@archottawa
or by phone at 613-738-5025, ext. 234.